Military fires missiles at four buildings late at night, killing 46 people (part 1)

In two adjacent buildings, 22 members of the al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) family were killed:

In one building, eight members of the family were killed:
Husband and wife

Izzat Mu’in Muhammad al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 44
Du’aa ‘Omar ‘Abdallah al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 35

Two of their children

Zeid ‘Izzat Mu’in al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 8
Adam ‘Izzat Mu’in al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 3

Izzat’s brother

Muhammad Mu’in Muhammad al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 41

Three of his children

Hala Muhammad Mu’in al al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 12
Yara Muhammad Mu’in al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 9
Rula Muhammad Mu’in al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 6

In the adjacent building, 14 members of the family were killed:
Husband and wife

Amin Muhammad Hamad al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 90
Sa’diyah Yusef Taher al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 84

Their daughter-in-law

Khitam Salim al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 47

Their son & his children

Fawaz Amin Muhammad al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 62 Riham Fawaz Amin al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 32
Sameh Fawaz Amin al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 28
His wife: Ayat Ibrahim Khalil al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 19
Their son: Qusai Sameh Fawaz al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 5 months
‘Abd al-Hamid Fawaz Amin al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 22

Their daughter

Bahaa Amin Muhammad al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 48

Their daughter-in-law & her children

Amal Jamil Salamah al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 42
Her children: Taher Shukri Amin al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 23
Ahmad Shukri Amin al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 15
Hanaa Shukri Amin al-Kolak (al-Qolaq) , 14

In the third building, which belongs to the Abu al-‘Oaf family, 22 people were killed:

‘Abir Nimer ‘Ali Ishkuntana, 29
Four of her children

Dana Riyad Hassan Ishkuntana, 9
Yihya Riyad Hassan Ishkuntana, 5
Lana Riyad Hassan Ishkuntana, 4
Zein Riyad Hassan Ishkuntana, 2

Rajaa Subhi Abu al-‘Oaf al-Ifrangi, 41
Her four children

Dima Rami Riyad al-Ifrangi, 15
Yazan Rami Riyad al-Ifrangi, 13
Mira Rami Riyad al-Ifrangi, 11
Amir Rami Riyad al-Ifrangi, 9

Husband and wife

Tawfiq Isma’il Hussein Abu al-‘Oaf, 79
Majdiyeh Khalil Hussein Abu al-‘Oaf, 82

Their son

Ayman Tawfiq Isma’il Abu al-‘Oaf, 49

His wife

Rim Ahmad Khalil Abu al-‘Oaf, 40

Their children

Tawfiq Ayman Tawfiq Abu al-‘Oaf, 17
Tala Ayman Tawfiq Abu al-‘Oaf, 13

Diana Ziad Muhei a-Din Abu al-‘Oaf al-Yazji, 45

Died of her wounds on 3 June 2021.

Her daughters

Rawan ‘Alaa Subhi Abu al-‘Oaf, 19
Shaimaa ‘Alaa Subhi Abu al-‘Oaf, 21

Their father’s aunt

Subheyeh Isma’il Abu al-‘Oaf, 73

Hazem ‘Adel Na’im al-Qumo’, 48

A tenant in the building

Muhammad Ahmad Mesbah Iki, 39

Owner of a shop in the building

In the fourth building, the al-Ahlam building, about 500 meters away, two occupants were killed:

Mu’in Ahmad Hassan al-‘Alul, 66
Luai Muhammad Ahmad ‘Odeh, 54
  • Some members of the famimly spell their name with a K (al-Kolak), while others spell it with a Q (al-Qolaq).

Testimony of Riyad Ishkuntana, 42, a father of five who lost his wife and four of his children in the incident:

Before the war, I lived on the third floor of the Abu al-‘Oaf building on al-Wehdah Street, along with my wife, Abir Ishkuntana, and our five children: Dana, Lina, Yihya, Zein and Suzi. We rented this apartment three years ago. The building had four stories and there were shops on the ground floor. I used to work as a waiter at restaurants and cafeterias. Since the pandemic broke out in March 2020, I’ve been unemployed and have only worked odd jobs.

After the war started, we were terrified and constantly followed the news and the events.

I stayed home with my wife and kids so they wouldn’t be scared by the sound of the bombings, even though we lived in a prestigious area that had no military targets. Our area is peaceful, and we only occasionally heard the sirens of ambulances evacuating the wounded to a-Shifaa Hospital, which is close to us.

On Saturday evening, 15 May 2021, our children went to their rooms to sleep. My wife ‘Abir and I were still awake. After midnight, at around 12:30, my wife also went to bed after a long day of fear from the airstrikes and drones.

I stayed in the living room and watched the news. Suddenly, about half an hour after my wife had gone to bed, I felt our building shake. I saw a strong red flash and then there was another intense tremor. I ran to the children’s room. My wife was already there, getting them out of the room. Suddenly, the building collapsed. It all fell down, the walls, the pillars, the concrete. The ceiling fell on my wife and kids, and I dropped as if I’d fallen into a deep pit. There was concrete around me and I couldn’t breathe or see anything. The power went out during my fall. I couldn’t see my wife and kids and didn’t know what had happened to them.

A few minutes later, I heard Dana and Zein shouting, “Daddy, Daddy.” I called out to them. I don’t know if they heard me. After a few moments, I couldn’t hear their voices anymore. I was stuck under the rubble, screaming and crying and calling for people to come and help us.

A few hours later, I heard a voice calling, “Is anyone alive?” I said I was. They asked for my name and I answered them, and then they told me they’d remove the rubble soon and get me out. I was exhausted, wounded and couldn’t breathe. I didn’t know what had happened to my wife and kids. I didn’t stop thinking about them.

They removed the debris and took me to a-Shifaa Hospital, where I was examined and X-rayed. It turned out I had a fracture in my back and thorax, wounds and bruises on my body, deep gashes in my eyebrow and right hand, and that one finger had been severed. I heard that bodies from the Abu al-‘Oaf and al-Ifrangi families who lived in my building had been extracted.

A few hours later, I was informed that the bodies of my wife and four of my children – Dana, 9, Yihya, 4, Lana, 3, and Zein, 2 – had been extracted. Only my daughter Suzi, 7, survived. They got her out after she’d been trapped for 10 hours under the rubble and concrete. She was hospitalized for five days with fractures and bruises. I was discharged after six days.

I’ve lost all hope in life. They killed my wife and four of my children. Israel buried them alive under the rubble. My children loved life and loved their family and friends. I woke up to a tragedy and a massacre. Everything is black. My daughter Suzi and I are in shock. Every day, she asks me about her mother and says she needs her and wants to see her, and I have nothing to say to her. She asks me to take her to her mother. She keeps asking me about our tragedy and talking about it. Our lives have become meaningless. I have no life now that they’re gone.

  • Testimony given to Muhamad Sabah on 31 May 2021
Ruins of the Abu al-‘Oaf building where Riyad Ishchnatna and his family also lived. Photo by Muhammad Sabah, B'Tselem
ריאד אישכנתנא
Riyad Ishkuntana

A few minutes later, I heard Dana and Zein shouting, “Daddy, Daddy.” I called out to them. I don’t know if they heard me. After a few moments, I couldn’t hear their voices anymore.